Friday, September 4, 2020

September 4: Bring Your Manners To Work Day

 

September 4: Bring Your Manners to Work Day

My wife and I just returned from 2 weeks of vacation.  We are also in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic.  Upon returning to work, my wife, mask in place, greeted her co-workers whom she had genuinely missed.  One of them was short and abrupt, and 2 others did not even acknowledge her presence.  All three left work within a few minutes of her arrival.  My wife was crushed and confused, only to discover that her co-workers were very upset that she was not self-quarantining after traveling.  Welcome home!

Bring Your Manners To Work Day was created by The Protocol School of Washington to remind people of the importance of treating people with courtesy and respect in the workplace.  How about a “Bring Your Manners to LIFE Day?”

It is a fact:  people have become more crude, more rude, and more vulgar than ever before.  From politicians to captains of industry, from soccer-moms to store clerks, it’s not uncommon to hear foul language, harsh put-downs, and rude behavior at every turn.  From merely uncouth to downright hurtful, people seem to think little of what they say or how they express themselves.  Surprised that it seems to be getting worse?  Don’t be.

Paul wrote to his protégé, Timothy, “But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power.” (2 Timothy 3:1-5)

Contrast that with the same authors’ admonitions in Romans 12:9-21.  Read it for yourself, and make this commitment:  Today, I will use my words and actions to leave a good taste in the mouths of everyone I encounter.  I will be winsome.  I will act happy.  I will say “please” and “thank you” and encourage others to do the same.  I will smile. I will be salt and light in the minor details of my day.  I will invite others to see Jesus in me, in small and nearly imperceptible ways.

You may wonder, “what kind of a difference will that make?”  I think it will make all the difference.  Purpose in your heart to do just one “well-mannered” thing today and see what happens. And please note:  Paul’s warning in 2 Timothy is directed to religious people, church-going folk.  They “appear” Godly, but they are all sizzle and no steak.  Don’t fall prey to the same shortcoming and instead make today a “Bring Your Manners To Life” Day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment